The entire MSU IT Transformation Program is focused on enabling Bolder by Design, with a
particular focus on high performance.
There is an opportunity for professional information technology talent improvements across MSU. We have an opportunity to update job descriptions, improve the consistency of performance management practices, increase engagement, increase succession planning, and further develop MSU IT staff.
- We are focused on performance management using existing tools and processes. In FY2015 and early FY2016, all IT employees (within the IT Services MAU) will have their job descriptions reviewed and receive an appraisal. As we move further into FY2016, we will seek to adopt these improvements via MSU HR.
- We are engaged in reviewing IT job classifications to modernize our structure.
- We are focused on recruiting in a highly competitive talent landscape. Our strategy includes some things like tapping MSU graduates, alternate sourcing, flex work arrangements, and wider geographical reach.
The implementation of standard and best change management and incident management has been completed, using IT Service Management. This is by far the biggest driver of the ability to provide initial metrics and nascent improvement in those metrics.
The annual MSU IT spend is roughly $117 million with 60% of IT staff working in the 140 colleges and departments across campus.
Investments are required to make progress on innovation and alignment given the significant stabilization required. Much of the current technology at MSU can’t be scaled, secured, or made efficient without significant investments.
We need to leap forward to improve the stability and security of IT at MSU.
We need to have:
- Secure, reliable, and resilient infrastructure and systems.
- Implement contemporary basics for broad use messaging, storage, virtualization, data, and development services.
- Expand the innovation capacity to address academic analytics and a new student system.
- Establish a sustainable network including ubiquitous Wi-Fi.
- Build new singular data center and hosting services, including a cloud selective strategy.
- Modernize and standardize information technology talent and assets across the university.
- Increase the level of financial and employee resources to support Bolder by Design imperatives.